Originally constructed as a warehouse in 1895, the Natural Capital Center building was acquired in 1998 by Ecotrust, a Portland-based environmental organization, for redevelopment as its headquarters and a center for the conservation economy.
“With our ambitions outlined, we knew we needed an experienced developer to turn our objectives into a fundable and profitable building program and development plan. We turned to Bob Naito, an experienced and creative developer who had been involved in many historic rehabilitation projects in Portland.”
–Bettina von Hagen, Managing Director of the Natural Capital Fund
The project broke ground in February 2000 and was completed 18 months later. Patagonia, the outdoor clothing company known for its environmental ethic, is the retail anchor, opening its first Oregon store and the largest of its retail outlets. The 70,000 square foot building also houses Ecotrust’s headquarters and a mix of non-profit and business tenants gathered around the themes of sustainable forestry and fisheries, green building, and financial investment.
The Natural Capital Center has maintained the character of the original 1895 structure while incorporating environmentally innovative techniques which resulted in the project becoming the first LEED Gold certified historic rehabilitation in the United States.
• 98% of construction debris reclaimed and recycled – a city record.
• 32% water savings achieved through low flow fixtures.
• 20% energy savings achieved through efficient windows, fixtures and ventilation system.
• FSC-certified, sustainably harvested wood used throughout
• Willamette River protected from storm water runoff – rainwater is filtered and absorbed through bioswales and an ecoroof.
• Environmentally innovative interior materials – recycled paint, wheatboard cabinets, rubber flooring from recycled tires.
Location: Pearl District, Portland, Oregon
Owner: Ecotrust Properties LLC
Developer: Naito Development LLC
Project cost: $12.5 million
Program: Historic rehabilitation of 70,000 square foot warehouse into retail, restaurant, office and conference facilities
Architect: Holst Architecture P.C.
Contractor: Walsh Construction Co.
Financing: Ford Foundation
Bank of America
Bank of the West
Portland Development Commission
Guilford Capital (historic tax credit syndication)
Project Website: www.ecotrust.org/ncc/